- About Us
- ICSOBA 2018
- Past Events
- ICSOBA 2017
- Contact Us
PROGRAM 2018The International Committee for Study of Bauxite, Alumina & Aluminium (ICSOBA) has great honor to announce the 36th International Conference and Exhibition of ICSOBA. The event will be held in the Grand Mercure hotel in Belem, Para, Brazil from 29 October to 1 November, 2018 in cooperation with Hydro Brazil.
Objectives of the Conference are to:
- Review the status of bauxite, alumina and aluminium industries in the world with emphasis on Brazil;
- Discuss promising research developments aimed at production, productivity and cost improvements;
- Highlight proposed Greenfield and Brownfield activities in the aluminium industry;
- Discuss advances in the field of environment and safety;
- Update market aspects of bauxite, alumina and aluminium and their products;
- Provide an excellent opportunity to interact with international experts, scientists, engineers, technology suppliers, equipment manufacturers and representatives of aluminium industries the world over;
- Facilitate university students meeting with industry representatives.
I. Keynote session: 29 October
For the opening session on 29 October seven keynote speakers are already confirmed:
- Raphael Costa (Technology Director at Hydro Bauxite & Alumina)
- Milton Rego (Deputy President of ABAL – Brazilian Aluminium Association)
- Luis Jorge Leal Nunes (Business Unit Director - Bauxite, Alumina and Primary Metal, CBA - Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio)
- Prof. Dr Rômulo Simões Angélica (Dean at UFPA - Federal University of Para, Brazil)
- Dr TK Chand (Chairman cum Managing Director of NALCO - National Aluminium Company)
- Aladdiny (Independent Consulting Company - China)
- Carl Firman (Aluminium Analyst - Wood Mackenzie).
- Caroline Alglave (Analyst - Aluminium Costs - CRU).
II. Technical sessions: 29 - 31 October
- Global bauxite resources and mining scenario
- Bauxite residue, challenges and its applications
- Alumina production, specialty alumina
- Aluminium reduction – new smelter and cell design
- Carbon and carbon materials, non-consumable anodes and new cathode design
- Casting and aluminium recycling
- Economics, finance - new projects in mining and metallurgy
- Regional dynamics and market analysis
- Upstream and downstream challenges and opportunities
- Environment, zero emission plants, health and safety
- Operational excellence and productivity
- Innovation and new technologies
- Manpower for the next generation aluminium industry
- Albras smelter
- Alunorte alumina refinery
- Paragominas bauxite mine
Presentations will be in English. The papers and presentations will be published in English.
III. Technical field trips: 1 November
On 1 November field trips to three different plants will take place:
The allowed number of visitors is limited (45, 40, 30, respectively). The trip to Paragominas is long and requires a one-night stop at a local hotel (included in the price). Return from Paragominas is expected at 13h00 on 2 November.
The bus to Paragominas will leave Grand Mercure at 8h00. Arrival is planned for 13h30 with a 0.5 h stop on the road. A stay overnight at a hotel is necessary but its cost is in the price. Meals are at the delegate expense. The bus would return to Belem on Friday, 2 November.
The bus to Alunorte in Barcarena will leave at 8h30 with 10h30 arrival. The return departure is planned at 14h30 the latest.
The bus to Albras in Barcarena will leave at 9h00 with 11h00 arrival time. The return departure is planned at 15h00 the latest.
Busses will be properly identified with ICSOBA logo. Please reserve your seat on the bus early.