- About Us
- ICSOBA 2019
- Past Events
- ICSOBA 2018
- ICSOBA 2017
- Contact Us
35th CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION
2 - 5 October 2017
ICSOBA is a well-recognized international non-profit association of members with the vision of being the “Technology Conference of the Aluminium Industries, for the Aluminium Industries”
ICSOBA Mission consists of:
• Promoting the exchange of ideas and know-how from different fields of research related to bauxite exploration and mining, and alumina and aluminium production.
• Organizing yearly Technology Conference with a scope of covering upstream Aluminium activities from Bauxite to Liquid Metal.
• Organizing this event in such a way that it encourages companies to send their employees, universities and other R&D organizations to send their professors and students, consultants, suppliers and individuals to attend and contribute.
ICSOBA was formed in 1963 in Europe (Zagreb, Yugoslavia). During the first three decades a great majority of the events took place in Europe, with bauxite and alumina being the predominant subjects. Then ICSOBA begun to travel to other continents becoming global and internationally recognized. The last ICSOBA conference in Europe was held in Saint Petersburg, Russia in 2004. Therefore, bringing the conference to Europe this year is like coming back home and to its roots. ICSOBA has never been to Germany before, and Hamburg being so rich in science and expertise is the most representative place for the aluminium industry in the country. The selection of Hamburg, Germany for the 35th International Conference and Exhibition, follows ICSOBA’s practice of rotating the venue of International Meetings to countries that play an important role in the global aluminium industry.
The Conference obtained support from Trimet Aluminium and DadCo and attracted 280 delegates from 34 countries.
The ICSOBA 2017 conference featured 125 international industry and academia speakers who covered topics including bauxite and bauxite resources, alumina production and bauxite residue solutions, primary aluminium production, carbon and carbon materials, as well as aluminium downstream processing.
Under the direction of Michel Reverdy and Vinko Potocnik the 2017 papers were published in the TRAVAUX vol. No. 46, which this year contains 1172 pages (a record for ICSOBA).
ICSOBA could not continue its mission without sponsors supporting the non-for-profit organization. Among the 2017 sponsors were: Trimet Aluminium and DadCo - the host sponsors. Other sponsors and exhibitors were: Cytec Solvay Group, Outotec, Fives Solios, Hatch, AKW Apparate und Verfahren, Bruker, Claudius Peters Projects, Fives Solios, GEA Process Engineering SAS, GLAMA Maschinenbau, Cytec Solvay Group, Otto Markert & Gruppe, PANalytical and SysCAD.
During the Best Papers Award ceremony, selected papers from the conference were announced. The awards are dedicated to recognizing outstanding papers across the entire program. Four subjects were considered: bauxite & alumina, bauxite residue, carbon and electrolysis. The Subject Organizers of each stream: Steve Healy (bauxite and alumina), Yiannis Pontikes (bauxite residue), Mathieu Arlettaz (carbon) and Vinko Potocnik (electrolysis) made their selections, in association with Session Chairs. Given the breadth, diversity and quality of the nominations, the job of picking winners was quite difficult. Two aluminium electrolysis papers were awarded due to the larger number of papers in this subject. The awards are:
- 1. The “Best Bauxite & Alumina Paper Award”: Dilini Seneviratne, Hong Peng and James Vaughan for their paper: “The Impact of Organic Additives on Phase Transformation and Particle Size of Bayer Process Desilication Product”.
- 2. The “Best Bauxite Residue Paper Award”: Tobias Hertel, Bart Blanpain and Yiannis Pontikes for their paper: “High Temperature Processing Options for the Valorisation of Bauxite Residue towards New Materials”.
- 3. The “Best Carbon Paper Award”: Les Edwards for his paper: “Thermal Desulfurization of Petroleum Coke for Anode Use”.
- 4. The “Best Aluminium Paper Award”: Dagoberto Schubert Severo and Vanderlei Gusberti for their paper: “Heat Exchanger for Alumina Preheating in Aluminium Reduction Cells”.
- 5. The “Best Aluminium Paper Award” is given to Roman Düssel and Till Reek for their paper: “Surviving an Extended Power Outage after a Breakdown in the Sub Station”.
During the gala dinner, two "ICSOBA Commemorative Medal" displaying portraits of industry pioneers Paul Héroult, Charles Martin Hall, Pierre Berthier and Karl Josef Bayer were presented. The medals were awarded to Dr Martin Iffert of Trimet Aluminium and Marco van der Werff of DadCo in recognition of welcoming ICSOBA in Hamburg in October 2017, facilitating the organization of the highly successful conference, and seeing to ICSOBA’s prosperity and growth.
The "ICSOBA Commemorative Medal" constitutes a special award and may be awarded to those members of ICSOBA who achieved significant scientific or practical results within the field of action, or who notably strengthened its organization or promoted its international scientific and industrial cooperation.
Since 2013 medals are given each year to the visited plants as token of appreciation for hosting ICSOBA delegates. This year the DadCo alumina plant in Stade and the Trimet smelter in Hamburg were awarded medals during the plant visits. Altogether 106 delegates took part in both visits.
For additional information on this year and past events please consult www.ICSOBA.org.
The 36th ICSOBA International Meeting & Exposition will be held October 29 – November 1, 2018, in Belem, Brazil in collaboration with Hydro. The theme of the meeting will be "Bauxite, Alumina & Aluminium Industry in Brazil and New Global Developments," and your paper could be a part of the excitement! It's already time to start working on your submissions for the next year conference!