- About Us
- ICSOBA 2018
- Past Events
- ICSOBA 2017
- Contact Us
Post release ICSOBA-2013 in Krasnoyarsk Russia
For its 2013 annual event, the International Committee for Study of Bauxite, Alumina and Aluminium (ICSOBA) has teamed up with Non-Ferrous Metals Siberia (NFM). During the joint International Conference & Exhibition that was held from 3 to 6 September in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, ICSOBA also commemorated its 50th anniversary. All ICSOBA members received a 50 years jubilee pin and past-presidents were awarded with a historic medal.
Since the association’s foundation in 1963 it is ICSOBA’s mission to unite industry professionals representing bauxite, alumina and aluminium producing companies, technology suppliers, researchers and consultants from around the world and facilitate the exchange of knowledge, know-how and results of research. This is achieved by organizing conferences with a rotating the venue enabling both international industry members to visit (remote) areas of interest and professionals in (remote) areas to participate in an international event. As such ICSOBA’s 2012 conference was held in Belém, Brazil and the 2014 conference will be held in Zhengzhou, China.
Including those who came for rare and precious metals, the total number of registered participants in the Krasnoyarsk Conference was 571 from 243 companies. The joint ICSOBA-Aluminium of Siberia sessions were attended by over 300 delegates from 30 countries: 125 international delegates that registered through ICSOBA, 156 delegates from UC Rusal, and a not exactly known number of other Russian and non-Russian delegates that registered through NFM.
The importance of aluminium in the non-ferrous conference & exhibition is reflected in UC Rusal’s support as sponsor and co-organizer. In particular Dr Andrey Panov - Director Alumina of UC Rusal’s Engineering and Technological Center as well as ICSOBA vice-president - and Dr Viktor Buzunov - Director Aluminium of UC Rusal’s Engineering and Technological Center as well as ICSOBA Council member – played a key role as organizers. Other sponsors of this event include Outotec, Bilfinger Water Technologies, Weir-GEHO, Shandong Jingjin Filter press, FLSmidth, Cytec, Nalco, R&D Carbon, Siberian Federal University, National Mineral Resource University and Institute of Chemistry and Chemical Technology.
For September 3rd delegates could either join in a full day technical excursion to Rusal’s Achinsk refinery where nepheline ore is used as raw material instead of bauxite or to Rusal’s newest Khakas smelter, or participate in a workshop with lectures of:
- Dr. Rene von Kaenel, KANNAK, Switzerland: Modeling in metallurgy and approach to calculating fields and fluxes
- Prof. Barry Welch, New Zealand: Constraints and options for reducing energy consumption in aluminum smelting
- Prof. Peter Polyakov, SFU, Russia: Aluminum reduction technology
- Dr. Frank Feret, ICSOBA, Canada: Characterisation of carbon materials for the electrolysis process control
- Prof. Halvor Kvande, Norway: Electrolytes of the modern design and Söderberg cells and methods of their control
- Dr. Jeffrey Best, Hydro, Canada: An introduction to lateritic bauxite – from exploration through exploitation
- Leslie Leibenguth, LWL Technical Services, USA: Development, current status and the challenges of alumina production
The joint ICSOBA-Aluminium of Siberia sessions of the speaker program on 4, 5 and 6 September included a total of 160 papers. The plenary session, including ICSOBA’s 50 year festive session comprised the following presentations:
- Dr. Victor Mann, UC Rusal, Russia: UC Rusal - innovation in technology and development
- Prof. Barry Welsh, New Zealand: The importance of fundamental understanding for high amperage high performance cell operation
- Prof. Peter Ployakov, SFU, Russia: Aluminium Industry of Russia – a historic overview
- Prof. Li Wangxing, Zhengzhou Research Institute of Chalco, China: Developments and future of the bauxite, alumina and aluminium industry in China
- Dr. Yanchen Wang, CRU International, United Kingdom: Developments in the global bauxite, alumina & aluminium industry
- Prof. Halvor Kvande, Norway: Trends in the global aluminium industry
- Dr. Frank Feret, ICSOBA, Canada: 50 years of ICSOBA
- Dr. George Bánvölgyi, Hungary: Overview of ICSOBA papers in Alumina production
- Dr. George Komlossy, Hungary: History of ICSOBA in the direction of geology
- Michel Reverdy, Dubal, UAE: A historical review of aluminium reduction technology papers
- Katy Tsesmelis, International Aluminium Institute, UK: Recycling - an important part of the aluminium story
Subsequently there were 11 presentations on Bauxite and bauxite resources, 45 on Alumina production, 45 on Aluminium reduction, 18 on Carbon and carbon materials and 23 on Casting in parallel sessions. Subjects were approached from a scientific or practical point of view and were presented either in English or Russian while the audience could listen to the simultaneously translated English or Russian version through their earphones. Accompanying slides were projected both in English and Russian language.
Papers and powerpoint presentations of this and previous conferences are available to ICSOBA members at no cost. ICSOBA has scanned all historic proceedings, the so-called Travaux volumes. Tables of contents can be consulted on the ICSOBA web-site at http://www.icsoba.org/downloads/proceedings-of-past-events and individual papers can be requested via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the registered delegates, about 200 visitors were attracted by round table discussions and the exhibition with 66 booths - 35 Russian companies and 31 from outside Russia, such as Altek, Andritz, BASF, Bokela, Bruker, Brochot, Buss AG, Cargotec, Cavemin, Claudius Peters, Danieli Corus, Eirich, Feluwa pumpen, Gouda Refractories, Hangzhou New Time Valve, Hazemag Group, Helmholtz, Hencon, Industrial Monitoring & Controls L.L.C , Luft und Thermotechnik Bayreuth, Mid-Mountain Materials, NALCO, NKM Noell Special Cranes, Outotec, Putzmeister Solid Pumps, Riedhammer, Sermas Industrie, Shandong Jingjin Environmental, Storvik, Thermo Techno Ltd, Fives Solios, Weir Minerals Netherlands and others.
On the morning of September 6th, delegates had the option of visiting UC Rusal’s Krasnoyarsk aluminium smelter, the largest Söderberg smelter in the world, or the Krasnoyarsk hydro dam with its 6000 MW power station.
In line with ICSOBA’s tradition, the conference provided ample opportunity to meet old and new colleagues during excursions, welcome drinks, meals, cruise on the Yenisei River and the grant closing banquet with cultural performances. NFM staff did a great job in organizing all logistics.
Dr Li Wangxing, vice-president of ICSOBA and president of Chalco’s Zhengzhou R&D centre has invited ICSOBA to hold its 2014 conference at the premises of this research institute with support from Chinalco. China’s role in the global aluminium industry justifies a repeat of the successful ICSOBA 2010 conference in China. Further information will be supplied through ICSOBA’s web site.
Delegates of Joint International Conference & Exhibition of Non-Ferrous Metals Siberia and ICSOBA
Delegates of the joint International Conference & Exhibition of Non-Ferrous Metals and ICSOBA - Krasnoyarsk, Russia 2013